Date:      Sun, 09 Jan 2000 13:31:46 +0900
From:      Yoshinobu Inoue <shin@nd.net.fujitsu.co.jp>
To:        bloom@acm.org
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPv6 testing...willing to help

> I found the problems I was seeing.  I had an old configuration of dhclient
> dating from before it was integrated into FreeBSD.  At that time, I just called
> dhclient without specifying the interface.  (I only had one NIC.)  Dhclient then
> tried using all interfaces it could find.  One of the interfaces it tried to use
> was faith0 which generated all of the errors.  I just fixed by network startup
> to specify the interface for dhclient and all of the error messages went away.

Thanks very much for your testing.
After I read your last mail, I also reviewed the code and
noticed it, and tried to fix it.

The cause of the problem is that,
the newly added dummy interface, faith, is actually using same
routine for loopback interface. But it has BROADCAST flag set.
And when dhclient is execed without argument, it sends DHCP
requests to every interfaces which has BROADCAST flag set.
And when it is sent to faith0 then it actually go to looutput(),
and the log messages

    looutput: af=0 unexpected

is printed there.

Faith has LOOPBACK flag set before, but it is changed to
BROADCAST to announce routes destined to faith interfaces via
IPv6 routing daemon. Because usually routing daemons don't
announce routes destined to interfaces which has LOOPBACK flag
set.

I just tried to remove even BROADCAST flag from faith, and it
seems to work in my enviroments. Route6d still advertise
routes destined to faith, and loooutput error messages are
stopeed.
I'll commit it now.

Thanks,
Yoshinobu Inoue