Date:      Fri, 2 Feb 2001 22:05:42 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Christopher Masto" <chris@netmonger.net>
Cc:        <multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: 4.2R pcm/sbc AWE records noise, not audio: 16 bit bug?; gus broken?

Excuse me?  I didn't call YOU an idiot.  I called your COMMENTS idiotic.
I accept that intelligent people can make stupid comments, I do it
like anybody else.

> > There are people in the world that you can give everything
> > to, hell go set up the PC for them, and they are still going
> > to be complaining.
>
> That may be true, but it's completely irrelevant.  I don't remember

irrelevant to a discussion of sound drivers, yes.  Not to Cameron's
feelings, though.  His response wasn't about the technical aspects
of the sound drivers, it was that your comments were thoughtless.

> Cameron coming to my house to set up my PC.  With your little
> metaphor, in fact, in fact, he is the guy who came by uninvited and
> trashed my working PC.  (Which is why I dislike metaphors - I don't
> feel this way at all and as I said in a previous message I am not
> looking to bash or blame Cameron.)
>
> > Besides that, people love complaining about the things they like -
>
> That doesn't make any sense at all.  You are acting like my statement
> that there are problems with the sound drivers is an opinion.  It's

once again, no I wasn't talking about the state of the sound drivers,
(except to say that many people are satisfied with them, such as
myself)  I accept that you have problems with them, and that I don't.

> not an opinion that I can't record audio.  It's not an opinion that it
> plays static instead of music half the time.  I don't understand why
> you're so threatened by a statement of fact.  If it worked correctly,
> why would I complain?

I'll answer that - your complaining because you have a piece of hardware
that isn't working quite properly, and you want it fixed, and it's
human nature to complain about something that's broken.  That's fine.
What's NOT fine is that you did it in front of the guy that wrote the
drivers,
and it hurt his feelings because of the way you did it.  If I feel
threatened by anything it's my fear that the people actually producing
code, like Cameron, are going to get disgusted with reading complaints
and are going to go away.  Then we will have lots of people complaining
and nobody writing anything.

> > if this guy really and truly thought that the sound support sucked
> > he wouldn't be using FreeBSD at all.
>
> That is also nonsense.  Have you considered that not being able to
> record audio is far outweighed by all of the things I CAN do with
> FreeBSD?  Perhaps I have a substantial investment in learning to
> configure, administer, and hack on FreeBSD?  What do you mean, if I
> "really and truly thought" - again, I am not making this up.  Why
> would I lie about the problems I'm having.  (And I'm not the only one
> - my message was in reply to someone else HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM.)

Instead of posting about problems your having and expecting someone
to fix them, why not try fixing them yourself?  If you don't want to
write code, then do what I do - I replace the hardware with diferent
hardware that DOES work.

Perhaps you have a substantial investment...?  What kind of question
is that?  Obviously you have an investment or you wouldn't be here.
Certainly it must be a greater investment than the money in your
soundcard, so it seems fairly plain that in a contest between
jettisoning the investment in FreeBSD and jettisoning the sound card,
that the sound card is going to lose.

> > His problem is that he just likes complaining.
>
> You sure know a lot about me.  My problem is that two years ago, I
> could record, and what I was hoping was just another temporary problem
> went on for months and months.  I do not at all enjoy complaining.
> Most of all, I enjoy not having anything to complain about.
>
> >   For every one person out there complaining there are thousands,
> > such as myself, who are perfectly satisfied with the sound
> > support in FreeBSD
>
> Because it works for you.  Or should I use your bizarro-world logic
> and claim that you're just saying it works, and if you really and
> truly thought that it worked, you would be complaining too.
>
> > View comments like his as a compliment
>
> I tried to respond to that, but I couldn't avoid the use of sarcasm.
>
> > he obviously has come to use FreeBSD so much that he considers it no
> > different than "commercial" software
>
> You don't understand the categories of software.

I probably phrased that sentence incorrectly.  What I was trying
to say is that you don't consider FreeBSD experimental, because people
that have software packages they view as experimental (ie: beta) generally
understand that beta software is supposed to have parts of it broken.

With commercial software, you have every right to call the software
vendor a criminal ring of thieves (if you so desire) when you find bugs
in it because you have PAID for the software.  In short, the software has
been represented to you as being solid, production-level software, ie: a
defined product that has value and you have given the developer money
for it.  There's a contractual relationship there which if you knew
anything about consumer product laws you will understand what I'm talking
about.  It's illegal to misrepresent broken products as working then go
sell them.  When you find a bug or defect, that defect violates that
contractual relationship, and under the law the producer is still liable
even if they swear that they wern't aware of the defect.  In short, the
law places a burden on the software vendor to immediately fix defects in
their software when those defects are discovered.  I can't help it that
companies like Microsoft tell clueless idiots that they aren't liable
for software defects, and the clueless idiots believe them, that doesen't
change product law.

With Free software, on the other hand, there's absolutely no merchantability
or liability of fitness because no contractual relationship is formed by the
user and the producer, because no money changes hands.  Therefore, as a user
you have zero rights to say squat if you find a defect.

  But that aside, if
> you knew anything about me at all, you'd realize that you could not be
> more wrong with that stupid remark.
>
> > of which people take complaining about to a high art form.
>
> You give me too much credit for a couple of sentences I hardly put any
> effort (or thought) into.

And you obviously consider my comments to be written about you, they
were not.  I do care that people who have produced code for the Project
in the past are bothered by what you wrote.  My comments were trying
to make them feel better, they were not about you at all.

Ted