Date:      Fri, 22 May 1998 15:21:57 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        shimon@simon-shapiro.org
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, Tom <tom@sdf.com>
Subject:   Re: DPT install problem

> > However, there are a couple of things that you personally (and other
> > concerned users) can do to help the situation.
> >
> >  - Contribute commentary (as you have), documentation and source/
> >    procedural fixes.  Remeber that FreeBSD is a volunteer project -
> >    your support means that it will continue to improve.
> >  - Donate a DPT controller to our testing pool so that we can test
> >    with it. Chances are we can scrape enough disks together in one
> >    place to meet the 20GB mark if we have one.
>
> I recently donated TWO DPT controllers and FIVE disk drives.  They went to
> two separate FreeBSD prominent figures, but still do not add up to 20GB.

Then we need some accountability from these prominent figures.  Where
is their feedback on this discussion?

> An ajacent problem, is that fsck will fail on such filesystems.
> The failure mode is fsck -p in /etc/rc.  It does not have, by default
> enough resources to run a large parallel fsck.  I added the following to
> /etc/rc:

You should update the daemon class in /etc/login.conf.  Can you verify
that the current settings there (/usr/src/etc/login.conf) are adequate?

(Note that a normal build does not update /etc, so you may be suffering
 needlessly...)