Date:      Thu, 18 May 2000 17:48:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Gus Mancuso <gus@fiawol.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Permissions/Owner for a ppp.linkup script?

Hi all.

I'm Running FreeBSD 4.0-R, and trying to build a set of scripts to
automagically update a web page with my currint IP address.
I've got the script working if I run it manually, but It just doesn't
seem to do anything when I let ppp.linkup call it.  I can see in
the logfile that it gets executed, (command !bg /etc/ppp/sendip MYADDR
shows up in the log) but I never get any output from the script in any
logfile.  I tried having ppp.linkup call it with " > /var/log/sendip.err"
to see what's happening, but still no output.  (although the file is
created)

I'm thinking this is a permissions problem.  However, there is no ppp
user (I think there is on Linux boxes... its been a while), and I don't
think I want to set the script as world executable.

What should I use as the owner/group/permissions for that script?
Am I missing something obvious?
Is that the wrong way to get a logfile output?

Any help, guidance, or bonks on the head are welcome!

Thanks

-Gus M