Date:      Fri, 24 Jul 1998 19:30:15 +1200
From:      wheely <wheely@ihug.co.nz>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: upgrade problems

At 12:02 PM 24/07/98 , wheely wrote:
>At 05:52 AM 24/07/98 , nik@iii.co.uk wrote:
>>On Thu, Jul 23, 1998 at 08:07:04AM -0700, Brad Clawsie wrote:
>
>>> As it stands, I walked away for a while and when I came back the utility
>>> told me it had ran out of swap space after it began to "pound on my
>>> root" or something.
>
>I'm not quite sure whats going on myself but it looks like it was
>installing the  bin files to / according to sysinstall. It stopped with
>write errors after about 2 min - something like 6 - 10% into installing bin.
>
>I just went back into the filesystem (via fixit) to see the damage and I my
>/ partition is at 106%. It looks like my /var and /usr partitions are
>untouched as they still have the same amount of free space. I have 32 MB
>mounted on /
>
>I mounted all my partitions at the disklabel editor.
>
>I think its fixable so I aint going to wipe things yet. I can still get
>into sysinstall etc. I used the 2.2.7 sysinstall (from floppy)
>
>Any other questions on it I am happy to answer. Also if anyone as any
>suggestions on a) finding where it has put the files on / (l can't find
>them) and b) getting to work properly would be great :o)

Well to answer my own questions:

The first part of the bin distribution was installed under /mnt and
/mnt/mnt. So all I had to do was delete enough of it to get my disk usage
under 100% for /. The only damage was /kernel erased, a simple cp
kernel.old kernel fixed that.

So the good news is I have my old 2.2.5 system up and running again. The
bad news is I am no closer to getting 2.2.7 installed.

Question: Are the new binaries supposed to be installed to /mnt and then
copied over or is it a bug?  (I certainly did not intend to mount it as /mnt).

wheely