Date:      Wed, 9 Jan 2019 15:41:29 -0700
From:      Gavin Howard <gavin.d.howard@gmail.com>
To:        "freebsd-arch@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: GNU-compatible, BSD-licensed bc
References:  <CAF=dzRNnurahLBOaKgq8_bDXNuM8biYPFbj6F2vp0t58Ejp8bg@mail.gmail.com> <8FFA4578-0BAE-4F9F-8A06-AE83283BDEA4@FreeBSD.org> <CAG6CVpXam0bJD9B7n0xDQiRF=ZTeH0hN7wd8f8fDGyMSsCwh0w@mail.gmail.com> <CAF=dzRNYxYf7P8q7mZo=Tc6a%2BfTYsARGpG0=ZTvBP1ESLPBLOg@mail.gmail.com> <61F802DC-2E59-4E0A-955D-899EBD7874A1@FreeBSD.org> <CAF=dzROC1P=44D58hY0RcQW-3nwWeXvQ_5s4BNPG3AE=OzCZqQ@mail.gmail.com> <A3D7BF6D-2696-45CC-936C-E2D6841840F0@FreeBSD.org> <CAF=dzRN4TaS5Zpa%2BDn11Tchiuz2mLFefJsvfRYG2KJPdANBLAA@mail.gmail.com> <D8CA7B5C-A770-4192-81F4-CA68CB904047@FreeBSD.org>

On Wed, Jan 9, 2019 at 2:26 PM Devin Teske <dteske@freebsd.org> wrote:

> [...]
> fast at all, at least compared to a well-written hardware-based,
> binary bignum implementation. But if you want to, go ahead; I would
> appreciate the credit (though the license does not even require that).
>

> Well, unfortunately, my needs are purely whole-integer arithmetic but
> speed is paramount.
>
> My application of OpenSSL bn(3) is here:
> https://reviews.freebsd.org/D16132
>
> Though worth noting that I haven't updated the review since November.
> Since then, I have made many changes which can be seen on GitHub:
> https://FrauBSD.org/libcmb
>

> Also, right now I am working on getting a release candidate out that
> will enable me to make a quick port that Stefan could use as a jumping
> off point. My build system changed between 1.0 and now, and I would
> like to be able to test it.
>

> Cool. Looking forward to it.
>

> It's out. It works great. The Makefile that I sent to the mailing list
> a few messages back does the job well enough, though I was told in a
> private message not to use the GNU bc port's pkg-descr file, since it
> might be under the GPL.
>
> However, note that this is not the final 1.1 release; it is just for
> testing, even though it is high quality.
>

> I'm wondering why you chose to write your own configure.sh instead of
> leveraging autotools.
>

> I had a goal of absolutely zero dependencies (that is one reason why I
> imported and adapted an existing history implementation instead of
> just making readline or editline an optional dependency). That was
> also why I wrote a custom parser, even though it is complicated,
> rather than using Lex/Flex and YACC/Bison. Autotools would be a
> dependency, so I wrote a custom one.
>
> Also, it looks like you have a high number of build-time options. I also
> notice that you're into writing tests for your software. It might be interesting
> to apply my tool for combining all possible combinations of build options.
>
> Seen here:
> https://github.com/FrauBSD/pkgcenter/blob/master/depend/libcmb/release/Makefile
>
> It's a great way to make sure all the various build options work together.
> --
> Cheers,
> Devin
>

> Thank you. It looks interesting, though unfortunately, some of my
> build options are exclusive (for example, the `-b` and `-d` flags to
> the `configure.sh` script cannot both be used at the same time), and
> from a cursory glance, I can't tell if libcmb can handle them.
>

> You likely would not use libcmb directly in the build process but rather
> the cmb utility to provide your combinations.
>
> For example, taking into account that -b and -d are exclusive:
>
> cmb -e -- -E -g -G -H "-k 64" "-O3" -S
>
> Produces 128 lines, each line representing a unique combination of the above options.
>
> You could, for each unique combination, then perform one as-is, one with "-d", one

Oh, okay.

> I do have a way of testing all of the (valid) build option
> combinations in `release.sh`, which is a script I run before every
> release. It tests that it compiles without error and/or warnings on
> gcc and clang, in debug, release, reldebug, and min size modes,
> running the test suite on every build.
>

> release.sh could be enhanced to support more than 16 variants in runtestseries()

True...

> I have a similar release process for libcmb/cmb (previously linked) except
> instead of just -Wall, I am a glutton for punishment by using with clang:
>
> -Weverything -Werror

I am not so good with compiler options. Is `-Weverything` more strict
than `-Wall -Wextra`?

> It also runs the test suite
> under ASan, UBSan, MSan, and Valgrind. (I think it runs 532 builds and
> does the test suite for all of them.) It takes 5 hours 20 minutes to
> run on my fast, custom-built machine.
>

> Impressive!
>

> And then on top of that, I have a script to generate random math
> problems (`tests/randmath.py`), which I run for about 10 million
> iterations. And then I run the afl fuzzer for at least 100 cycles on
> both calculators, fixing every single crash it finds. I am doing the
> latter two right now, and if it passes, the release will be out right
> after that.
>

> Sweet, looking forward. Excellent work.
> --
> Devin