Date:      Sun, 21 Oct 2007 21:54:44 +0200
From:      Lars Viklund <zao@acc.umu.se>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FYI: Promise TX4 silent corruption (RELENG_7)

On Sun, Oct 21, 2007 at 09:19:35AM +0200, Peter Schuller wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Since then I have now tried two distinct TX4 cards (but only in one
> PCI slot). Both suffer from the same problem. Amazingly a SiI 3114
> *does* seem to work in the same PCI slot - no corruption, and no DMA
> timeouts and whatnot that I was expecting from a SiI card.
>
> This was on amd64, RELENG_7. Same SATA cables used on all
> drives. Drives on TX4 were also in a Supermicro hotswap enclosure,
> which may or may not be related (but again, no problem with SiI).

I have experienced the same kind of data corruption as you on both
6.2-RELEASE and Ubuntu 7.04 on two different machines, one P3 and one
P4.

The card seems to be doing naughty things to the PCI bus under load;
your dmesg ought to be full of PCI timeouts.

If you grep the old mailing lists for the PCI timeout errors that are
produced, you'll find some messages indicating that the hardware is
flawed.

This seems to be worked around in the driver for Windows, since the same
card, disks and machines work flawlessly on Windows 2003.

--
Lars Viklund