Date:      Fri, 29 Sep 2000 10:01:38 -0400
From:      Jan Knepper <jan@smartsoft.cc>
To:        Jim Weeks <jim@siteplus.net>
Cc:        Artem Koutchine <matrix@ipform.ru>, Andy Wolf <Andy.Wolf@nextra.de>, James Wyatt <jwyatt@rwsystems.net>, Jan Knepper <jan@digitaldaemon.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DNS: having domain1.com and domain1.net point to the same IP.

Jim Weeks wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Sep 2000, Artem Koutchine wrote:
>
> > From: "Jim Weeks" <jim@siteplus.net>

> > lookup
> > >
> > > The general consensus throughout the industry seems to be that C names are
> > > evil.
> > >
> > > I have never been bitten by just using A names.
> > >

> > I have. Revers lookup might fail and some secure smtp server and other
> > daemons
> > do not allow access if reverse lookup failes. For example:
>
> What type of smtp setup would fail because the reverse lookup name did not
> match that of the virtual domain?
>
> Do you have an example of a daemon that would choke?

No an example of a daemon that would choke, but UUnet didn't have my reverse-DNS
setup so the reverse lookup's didn't work.

For that reason I resend (this) messages, because I didn't see it appear on the
list.

Appearantly SMTP (as postfix) checks via a reverse lookup whether or not a host
really exists. When it does not, it does not accept the message.

Don't worry, be Kneppie!
Jan

--
Jan Knepper