Date:      Wed, 20 Dec 2000 10:43:16 -0600
From:      Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com>
To:        New Star Service Company <nestar@globalctg.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: newbie question from "Complete FreeBSD book"

New Star Service Company (nestar@globalctg.net) wrote:

> I have 128MB RAM so I create 256MB for swap.
> Swap takes much MB.
> Do I create 128MB for swap ? Do it create any problem or make slow my
> X-windows ?

I've heard that you should make your swap partition twice as big as your
physical RAM. I have never seen my swap usage at more than 50%, but I'm
not sure what its peak usage has been. (Any way to check?)

If you plan to run a lot of memory intensive programs (X, Gimp,
Mozilla), you might need it.

> Till one month I read so many message from FBSD mailing list and also
> FreeBSD book,
> I have few questions but now I ask only one :-
> In Chapter 5 , Where to put /var and /tmp section:-
> "  If we don't specify anything else, /var & /tmp will end up on the /root
> file system,which
> isn't enormous. If we leave things like that,there's a very good chance that
> the root file
> system will fillup"   WHY ?

By default, the root filesystem is 100MB. If /var and /tmp reside on /,
you could potentially fill up the filesystem. For example, my mail
client writes mailbox contents to /tmp before saving; I filled /tmp when
I tried to save a large mailbox. Rather than mount /tmp on a separate
filesystem, I did the following:

# rm -R /tmp
# ln -s /usr/tmp /tmp

This creates a symbolic link to /usr/tmp. /usr is normally a much bigger
partition than /tmp

I also moved /var/logs to /usr, because I have an http server that
generates a lot of log files.

--
Christopher Farley
Northern Brewer / 1150 Grand Avenue / St. Paul, MN 55105