Date:      Thu, 12 Nov 2015 14:57:36 -0600
From:      Doug McIntyre <merlyn@geeks.org>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: freebsd-update-server current repo location?

On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 10:25:05AM -0500, Rick Miller wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 12:42 PM, Doug McIntyre <merlyn@geeks.org> wrote:
> > But I'm having problems during the big build with the machine chowing
> > memory to inactive memory and eventually running out of swap. ..
> > So I was looking for the current repo of this code? [freebsd-update-server]
> A recent build consumed approximately 12GB of swap on a VM with 8 CPUs and
> 32GB RAM.  I chocked the resource utilization up to the fact that the VM
> did not have enough RAM.  Building FreeBSD source, especially multiple
> instances of it, is likely to be much more memory intensive than the VM had
> in capacity.

Thats the thing though, during the build, it doesn't really take all that much
memory, it is mostly doing a ton of disk activity, while the multiple compiles
are going on all around it, they use up a reasonable, expected amount of memory.
Nothing that I wouldn't expect.

But then poof, all of a sudden inactive memory starts growing, and growing.
At only certain points in the cycle and in jumps and jerks upward.

I was hoping the FreeBSD release team actually published their code someplace.

But at least it sounds like the same as I obvserved happens to others. I wasn't
going to bother giving huge amounts of RAM to the build machine, but I can
at least put in a couple swap files or whatever to eat all this inactive
RAM swapped out during the process easily enough.