Date:      Wed, 24 Jan 2001 11:30:34 -0600
From:      Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Hardware problem

One of my FreeBSD machines began rebooting itself at random intervals.
Nothing unusual has been logged prior to the reboots. So I began
swapping out parts based upon nothing but suspicion. (I've just replaced
the power supply and some RAM, actually.)

I may have obtained an *important clue*, however. This morning, 20
minutes before it rebooted, this error was logged:

Jan 24 06:45:20 kraeusen /kernel: swap_pager: indefinite wait buffer: device: #da/0x20009, blkno: 256, size: 4096

I'm guessing that refers to this device:

crw-r-----  1 root  operator   13, 0x00020009 May 31  2000 /dev/da1s1b

If anybody has any pointers on how to diagnose this problem futher, I'd
appreciate it.

One further thought - I have never rebuilt my disk /dev entries
after doing a 'make world'. Should I?

Thanks!

--
Christopher Farley