Date:      Fri, 29 Oct 1999 10:29:34 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: psmintr: out of sync?

On Fri, Oct 29, 1999 at 01:51:34PM -0300, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> I just got my boss moved over to FreeBSD from Windows, and we're having a
> terrible time with X and mice ...
>
> She has a PII system, and we've tried both a Logitech Mouseman and
> MicroSoft Inteellimouse...we have her box hooked up through a console
> switch, since, for now, she needs to shre her mouse/monitor/keyboard with
> her old Microsoft machine...
>
> If I reboot the machine and bring up X, no problems...if I switch to
> Microsfot and back again, it starts to generate:
>
> psmintr: out of sync (#### != ####)
>
> error messages ...

If you have a good smart switch you may be able to reset the mouse and
bring it back into sync.  For instance my Black Box switch lets me reset
the mouse with "Ctl Ctl M W" which usually fixes the sync problems.  I
believe that serial mice will often resync if you unplug them and then
plug them back in.  That won't work with PS/2 mice though (at least I
don't think it will, the last real PS/2s I used would require a power
cycle after pulling the mouse).  If your switch can't handle it then
you'll probably have to get a new one.

-- Brooks