Date:      Sun, 19 Apr 1998 17:08:27 PDT
From:      "Message from Pauper" <pauper_i@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD - installation directories

Hi,

   This one is in three parts, but I'd appreciate some advice if anyone
can answer any (or all) parts :-)

PART ONE
   I downloaded the installation from FTP4.FreeBSD.org and used the
-stable version for the download (don't want to get into experimental
stuff yet till I have more experience).  The install refers to the
source and man directories, but this doesn't correspond to the directory
structure on the ftp.   How should the directories be ordered ?

PART TWO
   The download was effected under win95 running cuteFTP32 - all went
well until I discovered that some of the directory names don't comply
with the standard 8.3 structure.   Yes, I know that if I download from a
unix machine this isn't a problem, but here were talking about the code
to set up a unix machine (which came first, the chicken or the egg ? ;)

   ie:
   src/usr.sbin
   win95 handles it ok, but treats it as a long file name, so from dos
(or the install shell) it looks like
   \usrsbi~1
   which doesn't help for the installation, and dos can't handle a 4
character extension or a period [.] in the file/directory name so it
can't be renamed either.   There's probably a way around this, but I'd
appreciate it if someone could enlighten me !

PART THREE
  The install manuals refer to parts of the sourde which may not be
exported from the US or Canada.  Since I'm not in either, I tried to
identify which particular directories were involved - does anyone have a
list of the directories which should NOT be exported ?  (I may have some
deleting to do *grin*)

   Note: I've subscribed to the list, but don't have the confirmation
back yet, so please copy any reply to me for the moment,

thanks

Pauper
pauper_i@hotmail.com
Pauper on IRC.DAL.net