Date:      Wed, 15 Apr 2020 01:44:58 +0200
From:      Tomasz CEDRO <tomek@cedro.info>
To:        Niclas Zeising <zeising+freebsd@daemonic.se>
Subject:   Re: drm-i915kms + x11-intel eats out all of the ram and swap but not with x11-scfb

On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 2:15 PM Niclas Zeising wrote:

> On 2020-04-14 13:57, Tomasz CEDRO wrote:
> > Hello world :-)
> >
> > I have noticed some bad thing with the X11 Intel driver (12.1-RELEASE
> > (..)
>
> Which driver are you talking about? xf86-video-intel or drm-fbsd12.0-kmod?
>
> (..)
>
> If you are using SCFB, you are not using i915kms.
>
> (..)
>
> Have you tried using the modesetting xorg driver instead?
> Regards
> --
> Niclas

Well, you are right Niclas, thanks for the reminder, I am sorry, late
working and lots of iterations blurs the picture!

I forgot that xf86-video-intel is for the old cards only, the new way
is to use drm-kmod + xorg modesetting this is my default setup (even
no xorg.conf).

I am sometimes using scfb when no drm is loaded just to have xorg working.

Anyways in a test setup I also did install the xf86-video-intel (along
with scfb and drm-kmod) that was explicitly selected in xorg.conf and
it seems to interfere the way described by eating up the memory. Maybe
there is another reason, I am not yet sure, my workstation was
freezing after some time and I had to hard-reset it. But there is no
need to have this driver when drm-kmod is present. So I have
uninstalled the intel driver and the problem is gone :-)

Best regards :-)
Tomek