Date:      Fri, 29 Nov 2002 10:36:22 +0000
From:      Adam Laurie <adam@algroup.co.uk>
To:        Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, Adam Laurie <adam@algroup.co.uk>
Subject:   Re: vinum documentation

Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

>>>No, it addresses exactly your problem, modulo the fact that your
>>>plexes were RAID-5.  I'd be interested in what makes you think it's
>>>different.
>>
>>ok, i'm obviously not making myself clear...  my problem wasn't
>>replacing a drive in the RAID, it was replacing the root disk. the
>>system booted off a seperate stand alone root disk. the RAID is entirely
>>independant of the root/boot drive.
>

> Yes, you're certainly not making yourself clear.  Why did you need to
> do anything?  In a previous message you stated that you did a 'vinum
> create', though it's not clear why.  I suggest you send me (in private
> mail) the information I ask for in the man page.

ok, let's start again... here is a different but functionally equivelant
scenario:

   imagine you two machines, A & B:

    machine A boots off IDE, and has a SCSI card with an external
chassis with 10 drives in it.

    machine B boots off IDE, and has a SCSI card but nothing plugged
into it.

   machine A is configured to have a vinum RAID using only disks on the
SCSI card, as per my previous emailed config.

   machine B is a fresh install, with no vinum configuration.

describe the procedure for unplugging the external chassis from machine
A, and plugging it into machine B, and bringing up the vinum RAID
without re-initialising it (i.e. preserving the data already on it). the
only data you may take from machine A is the vinum config as per my
previous email.

cheers,
Adam
--
Adam Laurie                   Tel: +44 (20) 8742 0755
A.L. Digital Ltd.             Fax: +44 (20) 8742 5995