Date:      Fri, 25 Feb 2000 11:30:15 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jeff Gray <jwg2@cm-24-142-61-17.cableco-op.ispchannel.com>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: file table full   - consequences and do I have to reboot?

Hmmmm... why do you say user limits?  This box has been up for a long time
and is used only by me.  What happened is that I got a lot of mail over
a few days and read it using pine.  Then this am opened kmail and starting
deleleting mesages from there - I keep two copies of incoming mails via a
procmail account.

After deleting about 100 messages kmail died. No core dump.  Looked at
dmesg and found file table full.

Using the default /etc/login.conf
   :openfiles=unlimited:\

Is there a way to fix this without rebooting?

Thanks
Jeff