Date:      Fri, 04 Oct 2002 21:44:08 -0700
From:      Scott Sewall <scott@redlinenetworks.com>
To:        Fred Clift <fclift@verio.net>, freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xdm build/runtime problems

Regarding the failure to build  XFree86-4-clients port on alpha

>rm -f libXdmGreet.so.1.0~
>+ cd .
>+ cc -o ./libXdmGreet.so.1.0~ -shared -rpath /usr/X11R6/lib
>-Wl,-soname,libXdmGreet.so.1 greet.o verify.o Login.o
> -L/usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4-clients/work/xc/exports/lib -lXt -lSM -lICE
>-lXext -lX11
>/usr/libexec/elf/ld: cannot find -lXt
>*** Error code 1
>
>Stop in /usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4-clients/work/xc/programs/xdm/greeter.

I ran into the same problem you did.

I'm not sure what the right solution is with regards to how X is built
from ports, but perhaps I
can provide some background that might help lead to a solution.

When building the entire X distribution (not via ports), the X include
files and libraries are
copied within the tree so they are accessible to the applications when
they are built.  The reason
for doing this is so one could build a release of X that was different
than the one installed
on the build machine. Also, one could build the entire distribution
without having to install
intermediate pieces (libraries) before building other pieces (applications).

It looks like the port is still setup to work that way. It's looking for
its libraries
within its own build tree. However, the ports have seperated the
building of the libraries
from the applications.  So when building X using the ports, first the
libraries are
built and installed, and then the clients are built and installed,
etc... Compared to
building X w/o ports where first the libraries are built, followed by
the applications,
and then everything is installed.

Of course the libraries can be found in /usr/X11R6/lib, but they are also in
 /usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4-libraries/work/xc/exports/lib.

I'm not sure what the rational was for seperating X into multiple ports,
but I suspect
the port maintainers might be able to provide some insight. The i386
build could
also be used for comparison.

-- Scott