Date:      Fri, 25 Feb 2000 14:44:58 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        mjacob@feral.com
Cc:        Dirk Kleinhesselink <dkleinh@phy.ucsf.EDU>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problems with Qlogic SCSI combo card

Matthew Jacob writes:

 > On Fri, 25 Feb 2000, Andrew Gallatin wrote:
 >

 > > Matthew Jacob writes:
 > >  >
 > >  > I was loaned the mystery card from Dirk- it's got 2 Qlogic 1020 chips and a
 > >  > 21040-AA (!!) chip and a 21050 bridge. I think he got past the memory mapped
 > >  > vs. I/O, but couldn't boot. We'll see- I probably won't get to this today.
 > >
 > > Odd -- where did his boot stop?  I'm running 5 or 6 AS600s with these
 > > cards & booting off them fine.  They are production machines & are
 > > running -current from Jan, so something may have changed..
 >
 > He said "could not find init"...It may be just plain pilot error.

The hardware is fine.  His problem is pilot error -- he has probably
booted from a Tru64 disk (or NetBSD, or OpenBSD, or Linux using BSD
disklabels, etc).  This can happen with the new bootstrap glue from
Mike Smith which obtains the location of / from /etc/fstab.

He needs to fix this by breaking into the boot loader & setting
vfs.root.mountfrom to the appropriate disk.

Somethine like

ok set vfs.root.mountfrom=da1

is probably what he needs.  I'm not terribly confident the
syntax is correct.

Drew