Date:      Tue, 22 Apr 2008 06:35:38 -0700
From:      Chris Pratt <eagletree@hughes.net>
To:        gnn@freebsd.org
Cc:        Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>, net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: zonelimit issues...

On Apr 21, 2008, at 12:43 AM, gnn@freebsd.org wrote:

> ...snip
>
> Well there are plenty of us motivated to get at these issues.  Can you
> do me a favor and characterize your traffic a bit?  Is it mostly TCP,

The traffic that seems to take us out is TCP port 80. I'll make a
generalized
guess but it does seem to follow. We freeze on one of two dramatically
heavy use days for our industry (Sunday and Monday evening). The
hang will actually occur on Monday or Tuesday following these days if
sufficient traffic hits us. It has not always followed this pattern but
most frequently. There is always a high presence of high frequency
attacks of various sorts. For example referer spam posts which hit us
hard on our busy evenings. So it is TCP and I would presume we
usually have the establishment of many useless sessions that could
cause us to bump up against limits and cause exhaustion coupled with
our real traffic peaks.

This thread has given me several things to try and I'm adjusting (e.g.,
nmbclusters) upward to see what happens.

I should also mention that this system has the natural limitations on
it's traffic ceiling of two T1s on two NICs and a 3rd LAN NIC fielding
continuous round-robin mysql replication and rsync style mirroring.
It uses two bge interfaces and one server type em interface.
It's always troubled me that the zonelimit issues have always been
associated with higher volume circuits (in what I've read). But since
our issue is very directly related to traffic levels and seem to occur
at times where my monitors show us way over committed on the
two outward facing T1s, I'm still going to proceed with the
adjustments and see if it increases our survivability.

Thanks for your time on this.