Date:      Wed, 10 Oct 2001 20:14:00 -0700
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To:        Scott Gerhardt <scott@gerhardt-it.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Deny shutdown

On Wed, Oct 10, 2001 at 05:05:09PM -0600, Scott Gerhardt wrote:

> I would like to configure FreeBSD to disallow the following shutdown related
> commands from all but the local console:
>
> Deny shutdown now from all but ttyv*
> Deny shutdown -h or -p etc. from all but ttyv*
> Allow shutdown -r from all (I would like to reboot remotely)
>
> Of course, halting the system or going into single user mode is really dumb
> when administering a remote box so I want to diable it.
>
> Is this possible?

It is possible. However none of this functionality is built into the
shutdown(8) command. It will take some custom coding to get this
done. Patches for this functionality would be welcome. (shutdown(8) is
fun code too with functions like die_you_gravy_sucking_pig_dog().)
                                         cjclark@jhu.edu
                                         cjc@freebsd.org