Date:      Fri, 13 Oct 2000 01:22:16 +0900 (JST)
From:      Hajimu UMEMOTO <ume@mahoroba.org>
To:        rwatson@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: pccardd UNP socket

rwatson> I've noticed that pccardd creates and uses a UNIX domain socket named
rwatson> /var/tmp/.pccardd.  While bind() does use NOFOLLOW in it's namei call, it
rwatson> would probably be better to keep the socket in a well-known place, such as
rwatson> /var/run, where other privileged daemons keep IPC sockets for their
rwatson> control programs.  I imagine this is straight forward to do (looks like
rwatson> you just change the name in /usr/src/usr.bin/pccard/pccardd, and
rwatson> presumably pccardc?).  Shared temporary directories are the source of many
rwatson> security problems, and reducing system dependence on them makes it easier
rwatson> for sites to stop using them.  With the advent of mandatory access control
rwatson> policies due to TrustedBSD, it's conceivable that there might be (fear)
rwatson> demand for multi-instantiated directories, in which case using /tmp,
rwatson> /var/tmp, et al, for IPC will not work.

Yes.  While merging this feature from PAO3, I wondered it.  This IPC
socket is used to communicate pccardd with some PAO3 applications such
as gxcardmon.  pccardc is not related.  I think /var/run is good
place.  Existing PAO3 applications suppose the location.  So, I didn't
change it.

ume@mahoroba.org  ume@bisd.hitachi.co.jp  ume@FreeBSD.org
http://www.imasy.org/~ume/