Date:      Thu, 24 May 2018 18:13:21 -0400
From:      Mark Saad <nonesuch@longcount.org>
To:        Eugene Grosbein <eugen@grosbein.net>
Cc:        tech-lists <tech-lists@zyxst.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: problems with ssh-agent after running MATE desktop

> On May 24, 2018, at 2:31 PM, Eugene Grosbein <eugen@grosbein.net> wrote:
>=20
> 24.05.2018 21:41, tech-lists wrote:
>=20
>> If I then run 'agent', prompts me for the keyphrase, then it works normal=
ly. But I have to repeat this in every single opened terminal.
>=20
> You may like security/keychain port (or package). I use it because of its u=
niversal way to run ssh-agent:
> no matter what DE or window manager you use and how do you start it or not=
 at all, working in ssh or console only.
>=20
> One just adds single line to its login shell script, for bash it is ~/.bas=
h_login:
>=20
> eval `keychain --eval $HOME/.ssh/id_rsa $HOME/.ssh/id_ed25519 $HOME/.ssh/i=
d_dsa`
>=20
> First time after machine reboots (sic!) it asks you for passphrase (if nee=
ded)
> when you log in starting interactive login shell (no matter which way: ssh=
/X/console) and that's all.
> It won't ask you again until next reboot, or ssh-agent reset by some other=
 way.
>=20
> You may even disconnect completely and it reuses started ssh-agent next ti=
me you log in again.

I still use windowmaker as my primary desktop . However what I do in .xinitr=
c  is =E2=80=98 ssh-agent wmaker=E2=80=99 . Ssh-agent=E2=80=99s man page sta=
tes it can be used in place of exec in shell scripts to inject its environme=
nt into wmaker and its child processes like xterm or urxvt in my case .  You=
 use to be able to do this in kde I am not 100% sure about gnome but it=E2=80=
=99s worth trying if you don=E2=80=99t like keyring.

---
Mark Saad | nonesuch@longcount.org=