Date:      Sun, 9 Sep 2001 15:06:11 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        jack chen <chenjun@hefei.cngb.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: May you give me answer?

--mojUlQ0s9EVzWg2t

On Sun, Sep 09, 2001 at 08:26:15PM +0800, jack chen wrote:
> Hi there:
>=20
>     Recently my server installed FreeBSD released 4.2 often forbidden to
> telnet and inetd proccess was shut down.
>=20
> Then i  read messages  log and found indication:"Sep  8 08:39:17 fh666
> /kernel: pid 179 (inetd), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)".
>=20
> Why is it? May you tell me how to resolve it ?
>=20
> Need you help.

telnetd has a serious security hole which allows remote attackers to
take over your system.  This is probably what has happened.

See the security advisory on the FreeBSD website.  You need to wipe
your system completely and reinstall it to make sure the attackers
haven't left behind one or more "backdoors" which will allow them to
get back in.

Kris

--mojUlQ0s9EVzWg2t

--mojUlQ0s9EVzWg2t--