Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 16:07:43 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
Cc:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>, Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>, Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, fs@FreeBSD.ORG, dillon@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Disk I/O problem in 4.3-BETA

* Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com> [010312 15:53] wrote:
> > > If you need everything sync'd, you'll have to explicitly have the da driver
> > > send the SYNCHRONIZE CACHE command.
> >
> > Afaik we never depend on actually B_ORDERED'd data, at least not
> > for filesystem consistancy (as afaik it would violate USL patents).
>
> Hmm? Wasn't there an assertion about this from Terry IIRC? Huh.. as far as I
> remember Steve Kleiman was talking about this at Sun in 1990- dunno if this
> has any pertinence to the patent or usage.
>
> > We really don't need the SYNCHRONIZE CACHE either, basically a B_FLUSH
> > would be nice, the problem I see is making sure it doesn't get eaten
> > by the millions :) of OR's and AND's on the b_flags fields.
>
> Well, if I understood your mail, you were trying to find out a way to live
> safely with not only ordering (which is done in s/w with softupdates for
> FreeBSD, right?- last I heard from Steve Tweedie was that he was considering
> using tags for ordering in ext3) but also to try and live safely with data
> that is cached on the drive electronics but not committed to media yet.
>
> Did I misunderstand your questions to Justin? It's quite possible as I've been
> switching between 5 different systems I'm working on today and I'm sure that
> things didn't committed to &my& media before things were wiped as switched
> from one KDE desktop to another.....

Your previous paragraph "Well, if I understood your mail" is what I was
looking for.  Basically I was inquiring if the hardware could/would
support a request to perform a write-through or not lie about the
write completing for certain tagged writes.

Daemon News Magazine in your snail-mail! http://magazine.daemonnews.org/