Date:      Fri, 18 Jun 1999 11:05:49 +0200 (SAST)
From:      Fred Nicolls <nicolls@dip.ee.uct.ac.za>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Multisession CDs on ATAPI writer.

I'm almost afraid to mention ATAPI and CD-writer in the same sentence.  An
*extensive* search leads me to believe that FreeBSD and ATAPI writers are not
friends at the moment - hopefully that will change soon.

The common concensus (unanimous?) is that the burndata and burnaudio scripts in
/usr/share/examples/atapi are the way to go for now.  I've tried them, and they
both work for me (quite nicely, actually).  But only for writing single-session
CDs.

Has anybody used them for writing multisession CDs?  Had any luck?  When I try
to write to a CD which has already had a session written to it, the dd command
in the script fails with
   dd: /dev/racd0c: Input/output error
The first session of the disk was fixated with the onp option, and my writer
does support multisession (HP 8100).

While I'm asking, does anybody know how one would extract the multisession
information from a CD which has already had sessions written to it?  The
commonly-cited suggestion "cdrecord -msinfo" is not appropriate in this case,
since the writer is not (and does not act like) SCSI.

By the way, I'm running 3.2-RELEASE.

Thanks,
Fred

---
Frederick Nicolls <nicolls@dip.ee.uct.ac.za>
Digital Image Processing Laboratory             Tel: +27 21 650 3466
Department of Electrical Engineering            Fax: +27 21 650 3465
University of Cape Town