Date:      Tue, 19 Dec 1995 15:05:57 +0100
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@vector.enet>
To:        gclarkii@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Handbook Stuff

Hi, Reference:
> Another NOTE:  We may want to think about doing this for the sources also.
> There are many files within the tree that say this coded was contributed
> to UCB and name the author.   Make the copyright FreeBSD Project, Inc.
> and give a credit within the license to the person who developed it.

I would not want to see anything that passed Public sources back to private
hands (& FreeBSD Inc is private, even if we know the friends that run it).
What happens if FreeBSD goes belly up one day ? & someone buys the dead
corporate carcus ... we lose the code !  No Way, Thank You.

IMHO The code & the docs Must remain truly public (& not just BSD public),
so that  Linux & GNU & Sprite & Mach etc folk can share & enjoy (& cross
fertilise).

It's a natural question for a lawyer to ask,
it's not so easy to craft a solution though.
It's probably better to just stick to our standard BSD style header
(the one we see plastered all over), & just strike out UCB & insert your
own name when you write a new module.

Regards, Julian.
--
Julian H. Stacey	jhs@freebsd.org  	http://www.freebsd.org/~jhs/