Date:      27 Sep 1997 14:32:52 +0800
From:      bsd@smmc.qld.edu.au ("Keith Spencer")
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to Route to server??

Hi all,
I have a routing problem, which should be easy to fix!
History:
	I recently installed fbsd 2.2.2 on my system and I chose to nstall a
	DEC 24010 NIC at install time so my LAN could use this machine as a
	gateway to the Internet.
	The LAN pings fine. The LAN can route out using userppp -alias great
	The win clients access the INternet perfectly as does this
	freebsd gateway machine.
	The Ineternet connection is a dynamic IP
	The gateway NIC and all other machines have IPs from a c class block
	I own.
	I am very happy : ^ ) ...It was a very steep learning curve for me.

Problem:
	I have a server with a IP from my c class block (it too is fbsd).
	It is not on this LAN & it has my mail server on it.
	Obviously I want my LAN to pop mail  from it and access web pages
	from its httpd. BUT....
	I cannot ping the remote server from this gateway or the machines on
	this gateway LAN. Ping reports that HOST is down  (I know it isn't).

Possible cause:
	When I installed fbsd on this gateway, I didn't know what to put in
	the host & gateway fields of the install.bat programme when I was
	configuring the de0 DEC ethercard interface.
Questions:
	What is supposed to be in these fields...remember this is a gateway
	machine but hasn't got a DNS server working on it.
	How do I make the routing work so I can ping via my ISP to my remote
	server?
Thanks for helping

Keith Spencer
Teacher...St Margaret Marys College