Date:      Tue, 29 Aug 1995 15:56:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jeff Aitken <jaitken@cslab.vt.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Install questions

I have two install-related questions:

1.  Are the directions in the INSTALL file incorrect WRT installing
from a DOS partition?  I created a 250MB DOS partition, installed DOS,
then copied the FreeBSD bin distribution as well as the floppy images
(as per the instructions in INSTALL) into c:\freebsd.  I then boot the
FreeBSD boot floppy, partition and label the disk (mounting wd0s1 as
/dos), and tell it to install from there (under the [M]edia menu, I
believe).  When I choose [C]ommit, it runs newfs and whatever else, but
then complains that it cannot find the root floppy image, and tries to
load it from a floppy.  Now, I can make a root floppy image and use
that, but why doesn't it find it on the DOS partition?  (Yes, I checked,
and THe files 'boot.flp' and 'root.flp' are present in c:\freebsd ;)

2.  We made a custom CD containing, among other things, a FreeBSD
release (based on 2.0.5 with a few minor changes).  Unfortunately, due
to a small oversight, the files on the CD are arranged as:

/dos
/freebsd
/freebsd/dists

and so on, so the FreeBSD install doesn't work (install wants the
'dists' directory to be in /dists).  What is the easiest way around this
problem?  It doesn't appear to be too terribly difficult to make new
boot floppy images and distribute those, but we were hoping for an
easier method.  One idea I had was to somehow get the CD mounted, then
select the "Install from a mounted filesystem" option, but I can't seem
to get it to mount the CD!

Boy do I miss the "fixit" floppy! ;)

Thanks for any help.
--