Date:      Wed, 24 Jan 2001 12:44:14 -0500
From:      Vlad <tmd@tmd.df.ru>
To:        Bart Pustjens <skin@takeover.lion-access.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: news redir

On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 03:17:41PM +0000, Bart Pustjens (skin@takeover.lion-access.net) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Because of hardware troubles (running out of diskspace) I want
> to redirect the connections on port 119 of my.news.machine to another
> news server (which only allows my.news.machine to connect, so
> my users can't connect directly to the other/new/temp news server).
>
> Are their any ('native') BSD tools to do this ?
>
> Thanks,
> Bart Pustjens

Use IPNAT (ipf). Compile kernel with the following options:

options         IPFILTER                #kernel ipfilter support
options         IPFILTER_LOG            #ipfilter logging

and create a file /etc/ipnat.conf with:

rdr ed0 your.news.server/32 port 119 -> your.new.news.server port 119 tcp

then ipnat -FC -f /etc/ipnat.conf and you're done.

IPFW is a pain :) (personal opinion)

- --
 tmd