Date:      Thu, 24 Sep 1998 23:38:59 +0300
From:      Alexander Litvin <archer@lucky.net>
To:        Luoqi Chen <luoqi@watermarkgroup.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Strange ld (was: deadlock in vm_fault())

On Thu, Sep 24, 1998 at 04:16:40PM -0400, Luoqi Chen wrote:
> > Unfortunately, your patch does not solve my problem. May be, it is of
> > different source.
> >
> > Just now I have it (ld) hanging in the same place:
> >
> >   UID   PID  PPID CPU PRI NI   VSZ  RSS WCHAN  STAT  TT       TIME COMMAND
> >     0  1506  1505   0  28  0   496  384 -      R+    vb    4:14.76 /usr/obj/elf/usr/src/tmp/usr/libexec/elf/ld -m elf_i386 -Bstatic -o cat /usr/obj/elf/usr/src/tmp/usr/lib/crt1.o /usr/obj/elf/usr/src/tmp/usr/lib/crti.o /usr/obj/elf/usr/src/tmp/usr/lib/crtbegin.o -L/usr/obj/elf/usr/src/tmp/usr/lib -L/usr/obj/elf/usr/src/tmp/usr/lib -L/usr/libdata/gcc cat.o /usr/obj/elf/usr/src/tmp/usr/lib/libgcc.a -lc /usr/obj/elf/usr/src/tmp/usr/lib/libgcc.a /usr/obj/elf/usr/src/tmp/usr/lib/crtend.o /usr/obj/elf/usr/src/tmp/usr/lib/crtn.o
> >
> > The strange thing is that I cannot generate a coredump of it with gcore:
> >
> > root:/usr/obj/elf/usr/src/tmp/usr/libexec/elf:grape:> gcore ld 1506
> > gcore: The executable ld does not belong to process 1506!
> > Text segment size (in bytes): executable 65793, process 335872
> >
> This doesn't look like a kernel related problem, most likely it is a bug
> in ld that caused it to loop forever. To generate a coredump you probably
> need to specify the full path of ld in the temporary tool directory. If
> I remember correctly, gcore has not been converted to dump ELF format cores.
> Try using kill -QUIT instead, or use gdb to attach the process directly.

Well, I tried gcore with full path -- it doesn't work either.

The problem is really not kernel related -- that ld (in temporary tree) hangs,
even if it is just run, without any arguments or input files. I am now in
the process of determining how it happened for such 'ld' to be built (I
have a buildworld output written to a file).

Though it may happen that the fact that _such_ ld was built during -j12 world
is kernel related ;) :(

> -lq

---
I can't understand it.  I can't even understand the people who can
understand it.
                -- Queen Juliana of the Netherlands.