Date:      Mon, 20 Jan 97 13:31:10 +0100
From:      Lars Gerhard Kuehl <lars@elbe.desy.de>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, epamha@epa.ericsson.se
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: X-inside CDE segfaulting all over the place

>> I've been having a less than successfull time getting the X-inside
>> CDE product working.
>
>> installation. X11R6 & local X-clients & Swim-Motif 2.0 are
>> installed as /usr/local/X11R6.
>
> I wouldn't be surprised if the wide range of /usr/X11R6 and /usr/local
> pollution on this machine (Swim being the primary candidate) were
> causing interoperability problems.  Since Swim is 2.0 and CDE uses
> Motif 1.1, any mixup with the shared libraries would be very bad
> indeed.

No, these problems are definitly pollution ( == Motif :) independent,
I (never use complex softlink constructions and) tried what you
suggested:

> To test this theory, I'd simply reinstall my XFree86 distribution onto
> a clean /usr/X11R6 then add CDE on top of this and then either reboot
> or run ldconfig by hand to rebuild my LD cache (very important!).
> See if problems persist.

I had to reinstall CDE several times until it decided to work.
I have no clue why it didn't before. Some programs, e.g. xemacs
or xfig, had to be rebuilt in order not to segfault.

Motif 2.0 of course needs to be reinstalled after installing CDE
since the 2.0 binaries and header files are replaced by the older
versions supplied with CDE.

It's a hard way to get happy, particularly with with CDE...

	Lars