Date:      Sun, 8 Mar 1998 19:48:56 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        jak@cetlink.net (John Kelly)
Cc:        Karl Denninger  <karl@mcs.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Someone needs to re-develop "Softupdates"

> >According to Kirk, if someone wants to use it in a "Production ISP System"
> >(to cite one of his examples) they need to negotiate a license from him.
> >
> >To use a single word Kirk: NO.
>
> >That's nothing short of incredible, if you ask me.
>
> It's amazing how some of the same people who decry commercializing
> FreeBSD with donor control of funding have no objection to Kirk's
> commercial hooks.

Sad isn't it....

> Score 1 for the GPL.

The GPL has nothing to do with this.  This is simply a commercial entity
that has paid Kirk that would like to not having to re-integrate this
into FreeBSD as changes are made.

Basically, this commercial entity is giving some of it's work to
FreeBSD, and making it 'easier' for Kirk to get money since other
'commercial' entities who want to use Kirk's work have everything but
the legal license.

Sort of a 'big carrot' dangling out in front that they can't legally
obtain.

Nate