Date:      Mon, 23 Aug 1999 11:22:35 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.org>, FreeBSD Committers <cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org>, Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
Subject:   Re: Mandatory locking?

When I did a remote geographic disk based mirroring product a few
years ago, I just had an ioctl that said that this disk was special
for a while.  Then the open routine would fail.  This flag was cleared
in the close routine (and by the companion ioctl).  I did allow users
to open the device w/o read and write to get status on the device, but
that was it until the rebuilding process was complete.  Granted, this
was the control device for the mirroring driver...  But that worked
fairly well.

I only needed to do this in recovery situations for a few hundred disk
I/Os, so the average user would likely have never noticed.

Oh, this was on Solaris, but the concepts are exactly the same for
FreeBSD.

Warner