Date:      Thu, 23 Nov 2000 15:47:27 -0800
From:      Rich Morin <rdm@cfcl.com>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: finding "PMake - A Tutorial"

On reflection, I think I'd like to go a bit further with my suggestion.
I'd like to see an "extended docs" option for the FreeBSD installation.
Just as users can elect to have X11 and/or sources, they should be able
to request the entire available set of docs, in a variety of formats.

Given that disk storage is not a real issue, I think that many FreeBSD
users would be happy to store as full, "pretty", and convenient a doc
set as is available.  I certainly would...

Ideally, such an option would provide a complete docs set for the
release, in several formats (e.g., source code, HTML, ps, pdf),
(eventually) with indexes.  This would not necessarily rely on the
ScrollKeeper work, but it should be done in a way that seems reasonable
to the SK folks.

The funny thing is that this is mostly a matter of formatting and
packaging; many of the docs are currently sitting in the source tree,
just needing to be "built" into the right formats and locations.

Nu?

-r
Rich Morin:          rdm@cfcl.com, +1 650-873-7841, http://www.cfcl.com/rdm
Prime Time Freeware: info@ptf.com, +1 408-433-9662, http://www.ptf.com