Date:      Tue, 17 Mar 1998 07:53:40 -0800 (PST)
From:      Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, ckempf@enigami.com
Subject:   Re: Compilers: 2.8.1 v 2.7.2.1?

On 17-Mar-98 Terry Lambert wrote:
>> > Exceptions will not work with pthreads unless you are running 2.8.x
>> > g++ or better.  This is as good a reason as any
>>
>> FWIW, I've been using egcs-1.0.x for testing g77.  On my simple,
>> real-world benchmark (my code :-), g77 is giving about a 22% increase
>> in execution speed over f77 (f2c+gcc).
>
>egcs makes you make the choice about threading when you compile the
>compiler, instead of when you compile the code (as in gcc).
>
>I think egcs is seriously broken.
>

>The problem is that the exception stack needs to be per-thread.
>

>The moral to this story?  "I can make it run as fast as you want, as
>long as it doesn't have to actually work".

I don't use C++, so I can't speak about egcs's g++ and exceptions.

Sigh.

You're moral seems to be a non-sequitur with respect to my g77 observation.
Most people would assume a statement of "real-world benchmark (my code)"
means not only was g77 22% faster but it also gives the right answer.
In fact, I can cook up a Fortran program that runs 16 times faster when
complied with g77 than with f2c+gcc.  I hardly would call this a
real-world benchmark.  (Oh yeah, both give the expected results).

--
Steve

finger kargl@troutmask.apl.washington.edu
http://troutmask.apl.washington.edu/~clesceri/kargl.html