Date:      Sat, 7 Aug 1999 22:12:54 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Vermillion <bill@bilver.magicnet.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: Re: 2 queries]

Barrett Richardson recently said:

> Indeed true. What type of contingancy plan do you have for failure
> of the 7513?

Well it's a pretty rugged piece with dual power supplies.  We need
to add the second RSP.  The plan is for a 7500 series across town -
colocated at a transport provider - and their link enters and
leaves the state by different routes that our first one.

We have also discussed satellite links (not the DirecTV/Hughes)
stuff.  We even did a video uplink 4 weeks ago for a convention.

We're all communications oriented having worked in broadcast.

And last week the convention center got a letter of praise from IBM
saying that they have several large shows a year, but the
convention had the best service and  support of any that they had
ever encountered.  Sun and Compaq both said almost the same thing.
Niche market ISP - providing high-speed short term connections, to
industrial style customers.

We brought up a 250+ node network in two days (there was
pre=planning and pre-wiring up to a point), ran it for four days,
and took it all down again.  All the machines were coming up
just fine and it all went down hill rapidly.  We found one of their
machines - and no one knows what caused it - as setting all the
machines up after that one was setup to use itself as the gateway.
Took a while to find that.  And everyone was changing Token-Ring
cards for 10baseT.  Never saw so many laptops in one place before,
and none with Token-Ring.

At first you hope nothing breaks until you get the rest going.

However there will also be some routers running on BSD - mainly
used for bandwidth management and outgoing T1s, and we might
put a HISSI card in there.

Bill
--
bv@wjv.com