Date:      Thu, 13 Dec 2001 15:24:57 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Andrew Gordon <arg-bsd@arg1.demon.co.uk>
To:        Matt Peterson <matt+spam@peterson.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-small@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Free w/o the Pico

On Wed, 12 Dec 2001, Matt Peterson wrote:

> I apologize if this question has already been answered, I haven't found
> an answer in the archives.  While PicoBSD certainly has its advantages,
> my clients application is more designed for a "typical FreeBSD install".
> We're also strapped for time, crunching OpenSSH and other required
> programs just isn't going to happen.  Has anyone successfully "striped
> down" the basic install to fit on 64Mb CF cards?  Any tips/tricks to
> speed this process, besides slowly removing files and static binary
> re-compiles?

Just for reference,

make NO_CVS=true NO_BIND=true NO_FORTRAN=true NO_I4B=true NO_LPR=true\
 NO_MAILWRAPPER=true NO_MODULES=true NO_OBJC=true NO_SENDMAIL=true\
 NO_SHAREDOCS=true NO_TCSH=true NO_X=true NOCRYPT=true NOGAMES=true\
 NOINFO=true NOLIBC_R=true NOPERL=true\
 NOPROFILE=true NOSECURE=true NOMAN=true NOSHARE=true NOUUCP=true\
 NOPORTDOCS=true DESTDIR=/data/miniroot installworld

(ie. all the NO_xxx flags documented in /etc/defaults/make.conf, apart
from those relating to SSH/SSL) gives a total of 57.4Mbyte (as at
FreeBSD4.4).  This isn't quite enough for your 64M target, as that doesn't
include a kernel or your application, but it usefully disposes of some big
chunks of stuff.