Date:      Thu, 13 Jan 2000 20:37:57 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <freebsd@sasknow.com>
To:        Dave Page <davecpage@earthlink.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: mounting CD rom

On Thu, 13 Jan 2000, Dave Page wrote:

> I am a total newbie to Unix/FreeBSD.  I posted earlier, but
> realized I hadn't done enough research on my problem.  I am
> trying to access my CD-ROM drive.  Here is what I've found:
>
> 1.  In the KDE Control center, under Devices, I have:
> 	wdc1 at Ox170-Ox177 irq 15 on isa
                ^--- that should be a 'zero' :-).  When including a lot of
output like this, it is generally best to "cut and paste", where possible,
to avoid mistyping something important and potentially misleading the
people who help you.

> 	wdc1: unit 0 (atapi): <ATAPI 40X CDROM/VER-4.00> etc. etc.
> 	acd0: drive speed 687-6875KB/sec, 128KB cache
> 	acd0: supported read types: CD-R, CD-RW, etc. etc
> 	acd0: Audio: play, 255 volume levels
> 	acd0: Mechanism: ejectable tray
> 	acd0: Medium: no/blank disk inside, unlocked

a.k.a. dmesg

Try dmesg | more from a command prompt to get the same output.

> 2.  Under Partitions, I have:
> 	/dev/acd0c   /cdrom   cd9660   ro,noauto

a.k.a. /etc/fstab

fstab is your file system table, and contains entries similar to the above
for all mount points on your system, usually mounted at bootup, unless
noauto is specified.

> 3.  When I try "mount -t cd9660 -o ro /dev/acd0c /cdrom" I
> get "cd96690: Input/output error"  (/cdrom is where I'd like
> to mount it)

Instead of mount -t cd9660, try mount_cd9660 instead.  I don't see it
helping in your situation, but using the latter method for mounting is
generally considered to be more "correct" for somewhat obscure reasons
that are completely tangential to this post :-)

You also shouldn't (even with a CD-R/RW drive) need to specify the
readonly option.  When mounting ATAPI CDs, r/o is forced.

Receiving an input/output error when attempting to mount a CD can be
caused by one or more of several things.  Note that the errors reported by
mount are not always entirely "correct", or as verbose as would be
desired, as they are based largely on return codes issued by your CD
hardware, which can vary dramatically from vendor to vendor.  Some
possibilities:

 - No CD in drive
 - Incorrect data format (not ISO 9660)
 - An ISO 9660 disc, with unsupported extensions
 - Damaged/incorrect CD
 - Improperly configured/jumpered CD-ROM drive.  See below.
 - CD-RW disc formatted in CD-RW mode (yes, you CAN write to these like a
CD-R as well)
 - CD-R discs recorded in multisession and/or with a session open often
cause a problem
 - Incompatible CD drive (I didn't notice a brand name... ATAPI 40X?
Sounds kinda generic to me :-)

In particular, try some different discs.  Many people have had trouble
mounting audio discs as data (and you shouldn't need to if you just want
to listen to the audio).  Try some known-good CDs (do you have the Walnut
Creek CD-ROMS?  Or any commercially burned data-only CDs).

The jumpering/cable position problem has come up an awful lot lately, it
seems. I've posted one or two replies in this regard myself... You may
want to search the mailing lists (http://www.freebsd.org/search/) for "CD
jumper" or something similar.

Your CD lives on wdc1, your secondary IDE controller.  Can I assume that
it is the only device on this controller?  If it is, make sure that you
have the CD drive physically jumpered as a SINGLE DRIVE.  (NOT as a
master, and certainly not as a slave).  I can't tell you what jumper
orientation you need, as that is vendor-specific.  Convention suggests
that the single drive setting may involve removing the jumper altogether,
or placing it on only one pin.  If your CD shares the channel with another
device, you may have other issues:

  If the CD shares a channel with a hard drive, the CD should (and in many
  cases MUST) be a slave, and should connect to the MIDDLE position of
  your  IDE cable.  Ensure, as well, that the hard drive is jumpered as
  master.

  If the CD shares a channel with another IDE device such as a backup unit
  or IDE floppy, you may have to experiment with master/slave roles to
  find the one that works.

I say all this because it happens frequently, and the more I harp about it
on the mailing lists, the better the chances of someone finding it in the
archives :-)  MS operating systems do not always have the same problems as
FreeBSD, due to differing implementations of ATAPI support... So, many CD
drives that are jumpered incorrectly appear to work under Windows, but do
not under FreeBSD, even though they may be detected.

> Obviously the system knows the drive is there.  Am I
> entering the command wrong?  (If you have the time, please
> walk me through this step-by-step.  Total newbie.)  It's not
> mounted *already*, is it?  I've tried going to the /cdrom

Nope, given what you've told us, it shouldn't be.

> directory and doing an ls with a cd in the drive--I get
> nothing.

If in doubt, try the 'mount' command from a prompt.  It will show you what
devices are currently mounted, and which fs nodes they belong to.

Hope this helps.

- Ryan

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>	50% Owner, Sysadmin
  SaskNow Technologies     		http://www.sasknow.com
  #106-380 3120 8th St E   		Saskatoon, SK  S7H 0W2