Date:      Wed, 30 Jan 2002 15:32:48 -0800
From:      Charles Thompson <omegaman@theshop.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Help! Unable to install 4.5 distribution!

OK, I am not the most experienced BSDer but I am not a complete neophyte
either. But this problem has me utterly frustrated and stumped! I currently
have in my hot little hands version 3.3 of FreeBSD on CD. I am trying to
install version 4.5 on my 'puter via and NFS export. The install procedure
seems to chug along smoothly until it gets to copying the kernel. The
message I recieve is:

"Unable to copy /kernel into place"

Behind the message box is text stating

"ELF Binary type not known. Use 'bra..."

and then the rest is covered by the message box. Dropping into the install
messages output, (Alt F2) the last few lines read,

 kernel.GENERIC
 9505 blocks
 Abort Trap

I have no idea what I should do in order to copy the bloody kernel over!
How can the kernel not understand it's own binary type?

Plese help if you can. I have just subscribed to the list and I searched
through the archives for some mention of my problem but could find no
posting on it. Please respond to omegaman@attbi.com as well as the list.

Thank you!
Kitt