Date:      Tue, 25 Nov 1997 11:53:33 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, peter@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BIND 8.1.1

On Mon, 24 Nov 1997, Nate Williams wrote:

> > My presumption is that everyone agrees that we'll move to it
> > 'eventually'. does anyone have ideas as to when 'eventually' is?
>
> I thought the advice from Paul was to 'wait awhile' and integrate when
> everything got finished up, which means 'wait awhile' to me. :)

I was under the impression that there are some fairly important changes in
BIND 8.1.1, and especially after all the recent stuff with alternic and
nominet I guess there's people upgrading the default bind by hand now,
which is probably a pain!

Couldn't 8.1.1 be made a package/port in the meantime, it would make life
a bit easier for all the isp folks who run FreeBSD.

I reckon it'd be a fairly heavily used port if someone did it. Along with
sendmail BIND is also a fairly important consideration when deciding what
platform I'm going to be running assuming I'm a new isp.

How many (any?) new users will chose Linux/BSDi/Solaris or whatever else
is now running 8.1.1 by default ?

	Steve.

--
Steve Roome - Vision Interactive Ltd.
Tel:+44(0)117 9730597 Home:+44(0)976 241342