Date:      08 May 2003 09:30:24 -0500
From:      Teilhard Knight <teilhk@yifan.net>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: I must be dummy

On Thu, 2003-05-08 at 08:13, an unknown sender wrote:
> Couple things.
> You can likely get rid of eisa.  I always do.
>
> for most any PCI network card (including your fxp0) card to work.. You MUST
> have miibus.
> That will help you get networking back.
>
> The recommended way is to make a copy of the GENERIC kernel... and edit that.
> Then when you compile the kernel, use the KERNCONF parameter...
> hmm, this should help:
> A year ago or so, I got some friends to start using freebsd, and wrote a
> "QUICK" howto on updating FreeBSD to the latest level.  Maybe this will be
> helpful as well... ?
>
> http://www.techgodz.com/freebsd/upgradingFreeBSDtoSTABLE.html
>
> It's not perfect.. but let me know of any innaccuracies and I'll change it.

Thanks a lot, John. How do I add miibus? Just as "device    miibus"? And
where? Just after entering the card or at the beginning?

Just one thing. I was making changes as I was writing my post. I
actually changed as:

---------

#device		vga0	at isa?
device            pci1        # NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 64/64 pro (Ultra Vanta)
# splash screen/screen saver
pseudo-device	splash

# syscons is the default console driver, resembling an SCO console
device		sc0	at isa? flags 0x100

Is this all right, or as I showed it in my first post?

Thanks you for the time you have taken to reply.

Teilhard Knight
The Extraterrestrial

Who ate my sandwich?