Date:      Thu, 03 Sep 1998 22:36:50 -0600
From:      Allen Campbell <allenc@verinet.com>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG

Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > This is a bit long, bear with me - it comes from the heart.
>
> Actually, the problem is even simpler than that.  If we restricted
> posting to ONLY those who subscribe, rather than just any random
> person. (most of our casual posters do not subscribe to -hackers),
> it would also cut way back on the abuse since you'd have to eat what
> you served, so to speak. :)

This seems very reasonable.  It justifiably raises the bar.  I can't see
myself arguing that I should be able to post to a list without being a
member and I'll bet most would agree.  I subscribe to hackers-digest.  I
would hope that qualifies.

> I'm all in favor of trying that out, myself.  I think it's time, at
> least for lists like -hackers.  Lists like questions can and should
> remain fully open.

-Stable perhaps?  It would encourage -stable subscriptions.

--
  Allen Campbell       |  Lurking at the bottom of the
  allenc@verinet.com   |   gravity well, getting old.