Date:      Sun, 23 Apr 2000 19:09:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>
To:        Matt Rohrer <rohrer@hawaii.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: can ping/traceroute, can't login/get web pages

> I'm having an interesting problem with a remote server. I can ping and
> traceroute to it with no problem (from several different locations),
> but when I try to login using either ssh or telnet, I can connect, but
> I get no login prompt. Apache is also accepting connections but not
> serving pages. Any thoughts? I'd be happy to provide more info, just
> let me know what you need.

> # wait for many seconds
> ^C
> Received signal 2.

If the server is trying to do a reverse DNS lookup of the IP address from
which you're connecting, and is failing, this can happen.  Apache can be
configured to do reverse lookups before logging, though this is
deprecated.  If you wait for five or ten minutes, it might "work".  On the
server, try running nslookup to do a reverse lookup of the client's IP
address.  If it doesn't work, check your /etc/resolv.conf.
--
Trevor Johnson
http://jpj.net/~trevor/gpgkey.txt