Date:      Thu, 18 Jul 2002 19:44:06 +0200
From:      Manuel Kasper <mk@neon1.net>
To:        Huei-Ping Chen <huchen@cisco.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-small <freebsd-small@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FlashBSD :-)

> do you happen to have some information or URLs on how to install FreeBSD
> from a desktop to the compact flash ?
>
> I am assuming you would need a compact flash reader and probably use the
> "dd" command to write it ?

You may want to take a look at my guide - chapters 11 and 12 describe a
method that uses the vn device to generate a flat binary image that can then
be transferred in one step using dd. Maybe you can extract some ideas from
these chapters even if you plan to do it differently. :)

If you use a PCMCIA flash card reader in a notebook (with pccardd enabled),
the flash card will show up like just another IDE hard disk (ad[n]).

The guide is at:

http://neon1.net/misc/minibsd.html

Greets,

Manuel