Date:      Sun, 12 Sep 2004 12:54:34 -0700
From:      Joshua Tinnin <krinklyfig@spymac.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: booting beta3 on A7N8X

On Sunday 12 September 2004 07:26 am, "Lee Harr" <missive@hotmail.com>
wrote:
> >I have an A7N8X-E Deluxe, and have used it with 5.2.1-RELEASE-p9 and
> > now 5.3 beta3. The issues I've read about with Asus mobos have been
> > with the VIA chipset, which isn't on these boards, and also with
> > ACPI - I have it disabled in BIOS and in the kernel.
>
> Yea, that is the  exact same board I have. I thought the main problem
> was with the nforce2 chipset...
>
> I tried the "Boot with ACPI disabled" choice from the bootloader, but
> that one hung during the boot also... I did not try disabling ACPI in
> the BIOS, but I will give that a try.

OK, something else you probably want to do is add this line:
hint.acpi.0.disabled="1"

to /boot/device.hints

> >>Recently I found out that I can make the system boot
> >>4.10-stable by disabling firewire in the kernel. Otherwise
> >>it freezes up while booting.
> >
> >I didn't need to do that, but I don't have any firewire devices, so
> > when I create a custom kernel I end up commenting that out, but it
> > boots even in GENERIC for me. Do you remember if there was a
> > specific error message? What's on the screen when it freezes, like
> > what line of text is last?
>
> There is a thread on -stable where I posted the boot messages.
> Here is one ...
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2004-May/007428.htm

I'm not entirely sure, but I think if you disable ACPI in device.hints
and in the BIOS you'll be ok.

> >>Er ... no, but you can download ISOs for 5.3 from the fbsd site.
> >
> >Wait ... what do you mean? You can pull the sources and create your
> > own CDs, but you can't use the 4.10 source to make a 5.3 system.
>
> Well... my thought was to set up a 2nd src directory and cvsup
> to RELENG_5_3 so I could build a 5.3 system and then create
> my own iso using a customized kernel without firewire. I just am
> not sure I can do all of that while running on a 4.10 system...

Well, I'm not entirely sure, either, but in any event I don't think
you'll need to go that far. However, I think you'll probably have to
stick with 5.x so that your hardware will be supported.

- jt