Date:      Mon, 07 Oct 1996 09:07:29 -0700
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@hpnmhjw.sr.hp.com>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, BRETT_GLASS@infoworld.com, scsi@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with Adaptec EISA twin SCSI?

> >Only because some of the docs (I forget whether it was in one of the FAQs
> >or in the Handbook) said so. They said there was currently no good way
> >of doing an automatic upgrade, and that the manual process was painful
> >and could cause you to lose things. If there's a way around it,
> >I just need to know what it is....
>
> Its called, "cd /usr/src; make world".  Since you are already running
> 2.1.5R, this will work just fine for you.  Nothing has changed in /etc
> since the release of 2.1.5R on the "stable" branch.

     I think the FAQ and/or Handbook are referring to upgrading FreeBSD
via the precompiled binaries (and not via "make world").  With this
method, sysinstall does greatly munge /etc, and I believe this is where
the FAQ/handbook says that the manual process is "painful".  You
certainly could lose things if you are not careful.  Basically, /etc
gets backed up, and then all of the major files in /etc get blown away
and replaced with "new" ones.  You then have to go to the backup /etc
and hand-merge your changes into the new /etc.

     Not pretty, but it works.

     -- Darryl ("Been there, done that") Okahata
	Internet: darrylo@sr.hp.com

constitute the support, opinion, or policy of Hewlett-Packard, or of the
little green men that have been following him all day.