Date:      Mon, 18 Aug 1997 10:07:54 +0100
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott@dcs.qmw.ac.uk>
To:        Gordon Wang <guelph@tpts5.seed.net.tw>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: help

Gordon Wang said:
>Dear Sir
>I am a FreeBSD 2.2.1 user.
>What should I do to change my windows manager to fvwm?
>I have tried to change "twm &"  to "fvwm &" in the file .xinitrc,
>but this made my X-windows crashed.

You *did* install the fvwm port/package, right?  Once that's done, make
sure the fvwm binary is somewhere on your path -- it'll be called fvwm or
fvwm2, can't remember which right now.  Check that you have this right in
.xinitrc.

Fvwm should then start up with default settings, but if it still doesn't
work, try copying /usr/X11R6/lib/x11/fvwm2/system.fvwmrc to ~/.fvwm2rc and
see if that works.  You should probably do that anyway, as you will most
likely want to modify the rc file to your personal tastes.  The manpage
will tell you what all the options do.

Did you get any particular error messages when X 'crashed'?

HTH,

	Scott

Scott Mitchell          | PGP Key ID |"If I can't have my coffee, I'm just
<scott@dcs.qmw.ac.uk>   | 0xE8A64271 | like a dried up piece of roast goat"
QMW College, London, UK |            |     -- J. S. Bach.