Date:      Thu, 19 Aug 1999 20:23:43 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Login Problems

I ran into trouble with some configuartions while adding a new
group and moving users from another group into this group.

The phenomenon is, that each user of the new group is not able to
log in! Whenever I try a local or remote login by telnet or the login
command, I get "Login incorrect" immediately after typing in the login
name. There is no password question! Moving a user from this locked group into
another, older group makes things moving again. I lloked up my /etc/login.access
file an I did not find anything suspicious. login.conf is also clear and correct.
All users got their new gid by chgrp, so all accounts are up to date right now.

what happened? Is it a FBSD stupidity or more the stupidity of mine? Fiddling
around with the group file doesn't work, only moving all users from the new
group to the old one, which I want to have for special users, works. What's
going one there?

Is there another hidden database for groups? Editing passwd with vipw doesn't
help, I changed all gids to the right values. I found out that /etc/group
reacts really sensitive to misspelling groups or names within groups, but
in this case, all names are up to date.

Is anybody out there with similar problems?

O. Hartmann

Gruss O. Hartmann