Date:      Thu, 25 Feb 1999 19:09:21 +0000
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        Langa Kentane <LKentane@mweb.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Max # of users

Langa Kentane wrote:

> What is the max number of users that I can have on my BSD machine.

I think you _might_ have problems with uids greater than 65,535, so that
might be the maximum number, until any possible problems are removed. As
for how many can be logged on simultaneously, that will of course depend
on your hardware.

Although uid_t is a 32 bit integer, vipw spat at me when I tried to add
a user with a uid of 70,000. The user was added, and things seemed to
work fine, but just beware that there might be some problem I haven't
considered.

--
Ben Smithurst
ben@scientia.demon.co.uk