Date:      Thu, 18 Mar 1999 21:33:52 -0500
From:      Jerry Bell <jerry@bellnetworks.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   PPP strangeness with Windows

I have a few dial in modems set up on a freebsd box.  Windows clients
dial in through dial-up networking to connect to the network.  This all
worked very well until I lost the hard drive and had to restore it.  Now
Windows dial-up networking cannot connect by itself.  The
username/password handshake is screwed up.  As an example, when a user
dials in with dialup networking trying to authenticate, the following
shows up on ps -x:

14259 pil  I<s+   0:00.07 login -p }#@!}!}!} }7}"}&

This EXACT situation happens on many different windows clients (95, 98,
NT, etc).  Even the mungled username in the ps -x list is the same.
This happens on three different types of modems in the Freebsd box.
Here's the really weird part: if I have dial-up networking open a window
after connection, the "login:" prompt comes up without incident, and the
user can authenticate.  Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks,

Jerry Bell
jerry@bellnetworks.net